Monday, June 29, 2015

Lalit Modi may be innocent, and so could the women leaders of BJP

I don’t know how I should begin! It is because I cannot take a particular stand. If I defend BJP, it would be interpreted as me offending Congress, or AAP, or SP, or CPM, for instance. Therefore, I have decided to talk about what is happening in our country, being in the witness consciousness.

In the circus of the political world, what I sadly see is pelting stones. This act of throwing stones at others has been a common phenomenon, over the years. Of late, Lalit Modi, not in any political outfit though, is in the limelight for all the wrong reasons; somebody who is charismatic, who could bring people from across the world together, who was instrumental in changing the shape of cricket in India, who could make all the cricketers of the world play as a team to give the sport its due respect. He is in trouble, and so is the UK it seems, to have given him refuge! Let us not forget that it was the UK who gave refuge to poets and artists when their lives were at stake, Britain was the place where Karl Marx wrote Das Kapital. Britain, despite its fearsome history, has also tried to accommodate people who have opposite points of view; I beg your pardon, but I don’t see why Britain wouldn’t support Lalit Modi with his travel documents to help him prove his point. Have you forgotten all the good things he did? The man is in deep trouble now facing allegations which could be polarized! Won’t we give him a chance to prove his innocence? I know comparing Lalit Modi with writers and artists could be viewed as far-fetched by many, by even some of my writer-friends, but as an amateur writer myself, I am fully conscious of the comparison, and I salute Britain once again for giving refuge to this unlucky fugitive, who is yet to be proven guilty.


I am sad to see how the women leaders of the BJP had been silenced! Let me start with Pankaja Munde, a lady who lost her father in an accident and tried to rise to the occasion. She had accepted a tender from her father’s friend, a person whom she trusts, respects, and likes! What is the problem here I fail to understand, you have the right to work with a person you trust and like, don’t you? The whole world functions like this. In the corporate world too, clients come to us repetitively because they like to work with us. Would Arnab Goswami, Rajdeep Sardesai and Pronoy Roy like to work with each other! Jokes apart, has it been proved that the work was given to the person concerned without a tender?


Vasundhara Raje, the Chief Minister of Rajasthan has openly said he knew Lalit Modi. Is it not true that Lalit Modi’s life is at stake? If Lalit Modi is a fugitive, so is Salman Rushdie, and so was M.F Hussain. If you thought that fugitives are criminals, I would urge you to see the film The Fugitive!


Sushma Swaraj, a true spokesperson of India is now being questioned about trivial things. Our image of politicians is not correct; it needs a change, a shift. If I am a politician, does that mean my family would stop working, even if they are enterprising to have their own way of making it big, or bigger? What is so wrong in trying to get her nephew in a good college in the UK, he is a brilliant student for heaven's sake, what is so wrong my friends if her daughter and her husband are engaged in work, both of them being bright and intelligent in their own fields; how does this lead into corruption and all the charges against such a charismatic leader I fail to understand!

In the same way, if BJP is trying to defend one of their youngest lady members Smriti Irani saying that it could have been a typographical error, what is stopping us from proving that it’s really an error or a fake degree; all we need to do is to go the college, talk to the principal, look at the files. Are you trying to equate Smriti Irani with the person who has records of domestic violence besides the alleged faking degree? He should also be given a fair chance to prove about his degree, but would you like to have a leader whose wife has embarrassing things to say about him? Are you equating Smriti Irani with such a person? Are you really out of your mind!

I admire Manishankar Iyer, Chidambaram, Manmohan Singh in the same way I admire Arun Jaitley, Narendra Modi, Budhhadeb Bhattacharya, Mamta Banerjee and Arvind Kejriwal. Please understand that these are people who have the ability to do good for our country; a country with countless divides, pressing concerns and limitless possibilities, still unexplored! It is not easy to deal with Indian dynamics! I am surprised to see how juvenile our system has become that it is refusing to let people work! When Congress was in power, BJP and its allies would create issues at the drop of a hat, create ruckus in the Parliament; and now it is the same thing that’s playing its course. When will this stop is the point I am trying to make here! When will all the parties whom we elect from time to time show maturity of working together for a common cause, and give us some relief! If every party wants to do the best thing for our country, why is it not happening I wonder! Well, it is this act of throwing stones that blocks, isn't it?

BJP, upon coming to power, had made women more pronounced and visible. My question to all the Indians is to keep your eyes and ears open, take as much information as is required, and listen to all the women ministers sadly silenced, momentarily I presume, before taking any decision for or against them! I am sure they’ll get over this storm in the cup and give our country the place she deserves! Here's wishing them all the very best!

Lalit Modi! I am with you... if you are proven guilty, you will get your term, no doubt about it, but until the time you are proven guilty, 'climb every mountain and fall every stream' to prove your innocence to come back to India, and in order to do that, you have the right to influence as many people as you want. Like me, there would be many to welcome you back to India! I am a common man and I am with you.

However, as I said earlier, I respect Congress leaders too, I have my highest regard for Anna Hazare and Kiran Bedi. Stepping over the respective party feuds, I had at times imagined my country in witness consciousness; what if our politicians looked beyond their troubled histories, resolved their conflicts, at the micro and macro levels, I had imagined Sonia and Maneka, the two sisters-in-law working together, Rahul Gandhi, Varun Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi, the three, who had the same misfortune of losing their fathers to resolve their issues and work together, where AAP, Congress, BJP, CPM and Trinamool and all other leaders would work on a common mission, with a common goal; our country, India.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Supratik,

    "I am surprised to see how juvenile our system has become that it is refusing to let people work!" - I think, this line about sums up what ails our country. The problem with our political parties is once in power, they make it their avowed agenda to undo even the good done by the earlier government (from the opposition party) and thus turn the wheel backward. You must read the article 'Dignified alternative' by Harsh Mandar under his byline 'Barefoot' in yesterday's The Hindu Sunday Magazine Section to know what I mean.

    Politics and business are a heady mix of power and pelf and somewhere the lines of discretion and judgement do get blurred. All the persons named in the article are not exactly straight people. But then, are businessmen and politicians expected to be straight ?

    Thanks for sharing this throught-provoker, Supratik.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Padmaja, Thanks for reading and commenting. It is time we resolved our petty conflicts for a larger goal. I am surprised at the blame that has come to Pankaja... would you expect anyone to entrust a 200 cr project which deals with distributing food for the poor to a total stranger? Tell me, with a hand on your heart, would you do that? If we looked at the recruitment policy of all the channels, we could see people you get along with are recruited. I am saddened by the way India is working towards its destruction. The only virus that I can think of is 'conflict', we do not seem to have the gumption of resolving our conflicts, we are entertained by its show. You remember I wrote a poem Kalidasa? We are all Kalidasas, before the boon, busy cutting the branch we are sitting on! Thanks for stopping by.
      Best.
      Supratik

      Delete
  2. Dear Supratik. I do remember your poem Kalidasa. I want to gently remind you just this much - if all the multi-crore projects for the poor and the marginalised that were announced and implemented since Independence in our country, we would not be a nation of poors or atleast, poverty would have been largely alleviated.. I am sure you know what happened with Loan Melas....and such... In this context, Swarajs, Rajes and the Mundes and Mahajans, donot enjoy great reputation. Young Munde may be sincere or naive in granting such a big project to a family friend, but at the end of the day, it's a businessman who is going to run this project...so, help us God! Besides, let's not be naive enough to believe that the so-called Tender process is above board... Overall, the politicians of our country do not enjoy a great reputation...But I do agree, where is the choice for us...? Even if a small percentage of the benefits of these multi-crore projects, reaches the poor and the marginalised, I am happy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Lalit Modi hosting some minsters in five-star hotels, media has shown an amount of Rs. 17k! Is this right or am I missing something, the amount is so negligible! That's how much a middle-level manager gets to spend for their stay! I am really confused!

      Delete
  3. Dear Supratik. I do remember your poem Kalidasa. I want to gently remind you just this much - if all the multi-crore projects for the poor and the marginalised that were announced and implemented since Independence in our country, we would not be a nation of poors or atleast, poverty would have been largely alleviated.. I am sure you know what happened with Loan Melas....and such... In this context, Swarajs, Rajes and the Mundes and Mahajans, donot enjoy great reputation. Young Munde may be sincere or naive in granting such a big project to a family friend, but at the end of the day, it's a businessman who is going to run this project...so, help us God! Besides, let's not be naive enough to believe that the so-called Tender process is above board... Overall, the politicians of our country do not enjoy a great reputation...But I do agree, where is the choice for us...? Even if a small percentage of the benefits of these multi-crore projects, reaches the poor and the marginalised, I am happy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up reading that the economic problem of India is that the rich are becoming richer and the poor poorer. Instead of making the marginalized rich, we don't know when we gave up on that, we are now trying to make the rich poorer. In both ways, the movement is neither forward, nor backward, but awkward. In a country where people are still starving for food, what do you think we should concentrate on? To distribute food, isn't it? I find this silly and laughable. Thank goodness I don't understand much, and if politicians were like me, they would concentrate more on how to empower the marginalized so they can earn their own food. There is so much to do creatively, but we are saddled into negative things that come on our own ways. Or we are busy cutting that familiar branch we are sitting on!

      Delete
  4. Dear Supratik. I do remember your poem Kalidasa. I want ton gently remind you one thing - if all the multi-crore projects that were announced and implemented since Independence in our country, we would not be a nation of poors or atleast, poverty would have been largely alleviated.. I am sure you know what happened with Loan Melas. In this context, Swarajs, Rajes and the Mundes and Mahajans, donot enjoy great reputation. Young Munde may be sincere or naive in granting such a big project to a family project, but at the end of the day, it's a businessman who is going to run this project...so, help us God! Besides, let's not be naive
    enough to believe that the so-called Tender process is above board... Overall, the politicians of our country donot enjoy a great reputation...But I do agree, where is the choice for us...? Even if a small percentage of the benefits of these multi-crore projects, reaches the poor and the marginalised, I am happy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your views Padmaja! In fact, I resonate with your ideas of being happy.Taking a cue from 'where is the choice', I would like to say that there isn't much because we are conditioned into thinking that nothing good can happen, history has shown us this over time. Of course, it is businessmen who are going to take up projects for feeding the poor, you and I will not, we cannot because of lack of expertise, despite good intentions. Looking at our sad state of affairs Padmaja, I think we need to accommodate allowable corruption to start with, if we want to bring about any change in this bruised and battered country of ours, and in that the key would be to end conflicts that stand against progress. Congress definitely has a reason to protest, because BJP has also done the same thing when they were in power; now in the backdrop of throwing stones at others as a given, were do common people like us stand I wonder! We are not naive not to understand what happens through favoritism, but that also needs to be incorporated as allowable weakness to any change coming through. If all the politicians suddenly decided to not to do politics anymore, where will the country go have we factored that. On one hand the media is exposing the wrong-doings of politicians, and on the other hand we are blaming the ministers to spend money on security, with all the bad breath that's spreading around, it is only natural that politicians would get into cocoons of security to save their lives moving or commuting in the middle of angry people, don't you think we are in a trap? What the politicians need to do is to sit and discuss, above everything else, to dissolve conflicts and allow each other to work instead of nullifying every bit of their venture, good, bad and ugly.
      I am also of the opinion that people who are concerned about their families are the ones who can be concerned about the nation. Personally speaking, I would love to have an aunty like Sushma Swaraj who has concerns about her nephew, because everything starts from home.
      I don't know if I am making sense here, but our country is yet to resurrect from the colonisation, otherwise how is it that we don't see what is so stark. Keep writing, please!

      Delete